SHELLHARBOUR NSW 2529Send a message
Plenty of fun, free of charge. The key is to be creative and share the activity with family and friends to make it more exciting for your children.
* Take a ride around the lake - With a dedicated bike track from Oak Flats to Shellharbour village there are plenty of places to start and stop to check out the scenery. Pelican Park and Reddall Reserve Park are a handy stop along the way to play between rides.
* Explore Blackbutt Reserve (Shellharbour Road, Barrack Heights) - find a lovely shady spot in the forest to sit and read a storybook, play and picnic for the day.
* Visit Beverley Whitfield Pool (John Street, Shellharbour Village). There is a kids pool to paddle around in - remember to slip, slop, slap.
* Take an adventure at Bass Point Reserve (Boollwarroo Parade, Shellharbour) by following the Aboriginal interpretive walk and read the signposts that detail the significance of the area to the local Aboriginal people.
* Free art exhibitions at Shellharbour Village Exhibition Centre - Pop in to see local art works for all ages.
* Visit Wentworth Park and Carmody's Lookout (Pioneer Drive, Blackbutt) - This park gives you an amazing view of Lake Illawarra, a great way to learn where you live in Shellharbour. There are also two mini mazes which sit on top of the old site of the Wentworth cottage.
* The Illawarra Regional Airport is a fun place for budding adventurers to watch planes take to the sky.
* Shellharbour has so many free activities every week at Shellharbour City Libraries with craft and lap sit book reading for the little ones. Teens can also get involved at the library with Manga Comic Group and games to play for free at the library.
* Join in with the Barrack Heights Community Garden group - Working together with other members of the community and learning how to garden is a great way for kids to understand the benefits of plants.
* There are events throughout the year that are provided free - Carols by Candlelight, Movies under the Stars, Australia Day Breakfast by the Lake, i98FM Camp Convoy, Run or Yoga at Killalea State Park, Nature and Environment walks exploring beaches and rock platforms.
If you would like to share your ideas of the best free things to do please email us.
Subscribe to receive our newsletter by email